The Kapha Dosha integrates the elements earth and water and represents the structure principle. As such it embraces our cells, tissues and organs and ensures their integrity by lubricating, moisturizing and nourishing them. (Scroll down to read more about Kapha’s functions in the body.)
Kapha physical constitution
Kapha types have a solid frame with broad shoulders and wide hips tending to be ether tall and strong or small and sturdy. They have a good stamina, but usually, face difficulties losing weight due to their slow metabolism. Kapha people sleep long and sound and detest cold, damp environments.
- Skin:thick, pale and cool, can be oily
- Hair:voluminous, wavy and shiny, tends to get greasy
- Face:round and full
- Eyes:wide and drawing, often blue or light brown
- Nose:big and curved
- Mouth:full lips and large white teeth; possibly a deep voice
Kapha mental constitution
Patient • Loyal • Affectionate In general Kapha people are of calm and gentle nature, well balanced, steady in mind and act deliberately. They take their time to learn and work but have a reliable long-term memory and are good organizers. Having a knack for making and saving money, they can become quite materialistic. The Kapha type doesn’t change easily but has a deep and stable faith which can cause them to get into a rut.
The Doshas are affected by the Gunas (Qualities) which bring out different mental states. Kapha natures have the following tendencies:
|Patient, generous, peaceful, nurturing, loving, loyal, compassionate||Stubborn, possessive, holding grudges, attached to objects (slight hoarding tendency)||Selfish, self-loathing, lethargic, intense greed, possible thieves|
The Kapha Dosha can be aggravated by overconsumption of fatty, sweet foods, ice-cold drinks, cold and damp weather and lack of exercise.
The following could be signs that your Kapha dosha might be overly strong:
- you’re gaining weight easily without an obvious reason
- you’re constantly feeling tired and have difficulties waking up, even after a good night’s sleep
- you feel quite lethargic after meals
- you have difficulties dealing with change tend to dwell in the past
- general wetness, dampness, edema, puffy skin, mucous, heaviness
Kapha functions and dysfunctions
Kapha distributes energy throughout the body, is responsible for its construction, lubrication and holds everything together. It builds up mental strength and physical defense against disease.
Kapha’s main location is in stomach and lungs with minor locations in the mucous membranes, plasma, cytoplasm, lymphs, joints, subcutaneous fatty tissue, mouth, nose and all secretions like mucous and saliva. This means that problems with these regions in combination with the Kapha function (structure) will likely lead back to an unbalanced Kapha Dosha.
Typical Kapha disorders:
- Bronchitis, asthma, pneumonia, cough and cold
- nasal congestion, excess mucus
- brittle bones, rheumatic conditions
- nausea, fainting and obesity
- loss of appetite, dullness, lethargy