Fifth Chakra: Throat Chakra
“I speak up for myself and create a better world with every word.”
The fifth chakra, located in the throat region, connects us to our expressive self, reinforcing communication, speech and healing. When off balance there may be issues of self-expression, dishonesty, lying, fear of no power or control. When in balance, we can express our thrught without worrying about what other may think.
- The fifth chakra, Vishuddha meaning; purity or purification. Other names; Kanth Padma (meaning throat lotus), Shodash Dala (meaning sixteen pedals).
- Also called Bharati sthana (goddess of speech), vishuddha is responsible for communication through sound.
- Located at the cervical point (vertebra IV of the spine), vishuddha is associated with the cervical plexus and thyroid gland.
- The fifth chakra is also governed by the planet Mercury, the planet of speaking/articulating electro-magnetic initiating thoughts. As well as the sign Taurus.
Sixteen Petals of the Vishuddha –
Being that this chakra governs speech and expression, the petals hold various mantras and musical notes. The first 9 vrittis are mantras, followed by 7 musical notes.
Each chakra is embedded with qualities called vrittis (whirlpools) which are thought-forms or emotions held within the chakra.
- Pranava (OM)
- Udgitha (Samaveda)
- Hung (Bij Mantra)
- Phat (Bij Mantra)
- Vashat (Mantra)
- Svadha (Mantra)
- Svaha (Mantra)
- Namah (Mantra)
- Amrita (Nectar of Immortality)
Characteristics of the Vishuddha
Maharudra Shiva is the son of Lord Brahma (Virinchi), instantly emerged out (Sadhyojatha) from the center of his eyebrows at the time of creation. Soon after His birth Shiva started crying/roaring fiercely (Roudra) hence called Rudra (Rodanaat-Rudra).
Mantra: Om Namah Shivaya ॐ
Repeat this Mantra 108 times in meditation.
Vishuddha Chakra Symptoms of Imbalance
An overactive throat chakra can cause:
- Throat issues
- Thyroid Issues
- Stiff Neck
- Swollen Glands
- Gum & Tooth Issues
An energy deficiency in the fifth
chakra can cause:
- Hearing Problems
- Issues with Self-Expression
- Rage for holding in feelings
- Excessive Talking
- Not expressing your needs or boundaries
- Tonsil Swelling
Balancing Vishuddha Chakra Energy:
Healing Through the Five Senses
Mudra & Mantra
Close your eyes and begin to chant the mantra “OM HAM” for 3 minutes. First out loud for a few rounds, then silently to yourself. While chanting, I would like you to visualize a bright yellow energy penetrating your solar plexus from the front and back of your being. This beautiful yellow light is cleansing and energizing your Manipura chakra into the glowing sunshine bright yellow chakra it is. Also, keep in mind any sensations, colors, pictures or words you might experience, these are all messages from the divine.
If you would like to add some healing sound to your meditation, I have provided some healing throat chakra G-tone quartz crystal sound bowl frequencies in my youtube video below. Enjoy!
Chakra Alignment Therapy
Want to take your chakra healing further?